Friday, August 20, 2010

Connections


So, my friends over at TinyChatterings have spent this week talking about passions. A trend I have noticed, is that almost all of them talk about friends, or people, or just connections in general. I think this is a very interesting topic in this day and age.

The story used to go that you only knew people you were around in day to day life. Be that people from school, people from work, people in your town or city, or family. It was a small inner circle, and that was pretty much it. Now, this is not the case at all. Not only has it become easier to keep in contact with people who at one point were part of that local inner circle, but we now have the ability to make close connections with people in different cities, different states, different countries, even different continents. Of course, there is a bit of trouble with this, with internet criminals and all, but we're getting to the point where it is much easier to weed out those of a less honest nature, and make true friendships with people who may be halfway around the world.

Frankly, I think its fucking awesome (pardon my obscene English. That's right, I don't say pardon my French. Honesty people, honesty.)

I absolutely love the fact that I can find people who are passionate about the same things I am, that understand my weird hobbies, and can love me for it. As a nerd, close friendships in a limited local circle is not the easiest thing to come by, much less ones that involve very specific hobbies. Growing up, I was never really a social butterfly, because I didn't really feel like I fit in. I think this is the case with a a lot of people (come on nerds, you can admit it.)

But this isn't the case with the internet. How else could a conference like Vidcon have happened? I spent 4 days surrounded by people who were just like me, and I honestly don't think I have ever felt more like I belonged anywhere in my entire life. (ok Melissa, stop getting all Vidcon nostalgic) I have made so many close and compassionate friends just from those four days. Through those friends I have branched out and found even more people that I have become very close to, despite the fact that we life thousands of miles away. I can spend hours hanging out with friends on skype or tinychat, and when I say hanging out, I mean it in the most literal sense. True, we are not in the same room, maybe not even the same country, but the time that I spend with those friends is just as fun as the time I spend with friends in my own city, if not better. We have inside jokes, we play games together, we share stories, and when we're not feeling so great, we cheer each other up and say I love you.

I cannot even begin to explain how amazing it is, and how great it makes me feel to have so many close friends. You could say we haven't met, but I don't agree. Sure, I have never been in the same room with them. Sure, I've never hugged them, or heard their voice from something other than computer speakers. Sure, we've never felt the warmth of each others' skin. But I have met them. I know them. And I don't care what you may think, I love them.



Image Credit- Verachan

No comments:

Post a Comment