Monday, April 18, 2011

BEDA 14 - Sunburn

Well, as you can probably guess from the title, I am currently suffering from sunburn. This is a particularly obnoxious thing for me, considering that it is the first time that I have had sunburn in round about 6 years. A few of you may know this, but I am 1/24th American Indian (Ottowa, I think), so on the rare occasions that I expose myself to sunlight, I typically tan pretty easy.

However, as evidenced by the sore shoulders, this is not always the case. Yesterday, I attended the Las Vegas Celtic Highland Games. It was a wonderful even, full of kilts, bagpipes, meat pies, and even a didgeridoo. However, before leaving my house that morning, I didn't even think to put on sunblock, despite knowing that I would be out in the sun for a few hours. Now I feel incredibly stupid.

There are a lot of different sunburn remedies out there, one of the more popular being aloe vera gel. That goop, however, doesn't really work on me, and just ends up drying out my skin more. So, today, I decided to try a more natural (and as my boyfriend claims, hipster) approach, and bought some Burt's Bees Aloe & Linden Flower After Sun Soother. From what I can gather, it's pretty much an aloe-tastic super lotion, that smells really pretty. It seems to be helping with the pain, though the redness isn't going down much.

I myself don't get too annoyed with sunburn, because I usually don't burn too bad, so it doesn't hurt that much. But today I noticed that a disadvantage about having sunburned shoulders is that it makes normally simple tasks more awkward and painful. Currently I am not very fond of my purse, and the seat belt in my car.

So, if anyone has any other good sunburn remedies, feel free to leave it in a comment, and I will most likely love you forever (but not in a creepy way).

Until tomorrow, Allons-y!

2 comments:

  1. You are 1/16th Ottawa indian. And you have a boyfriend? Why do you never tell me these things?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Mom, because its so much more exciting to find out on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete