Wednesday, April 6, 2011

BEDA 6 - Anonnying People Who Attend My College

When I started going to college, I assumed that it would be this wonderful place of higher learning, filled with mature adults who are interested in furthering their education. I was wrong. VERY wrong. While, of course, enthusiasm for school is not something that most people share, I thought that college would at least be a little better than high school in that sense. But, apparently, many adults still act like children (and somehow think it's justifiable because they can take care of themselves.)

For example, in a few of my classes, the professor records participation points. Basically, if you come to class on time, and stay the whole time, you receive points added to your grade, just for showing up. This seems like a pretty simple, agreeable concept. You show up to class, you get a good grade. However, one of my classmates decided that this was the worst thing possible. Apparently, being an adult, who pays for their schooling, you shouldn't have to come to class if it somehow inconveniences you. So this makes me wonder, if you don't come to class, what do you learn? Why the hell are you paying a ridiculous amount of money if you aren't even going to show up?

Another supreme annoyance that I have found in my peers is the childish reaction to test taking. Yes, taking tests sucks. We all know this. But complaining to the teacher about you getting a bad grade on a test because you didn't read the material is not only ridiculous, but frankly, freaking stupid. I have sat through a 20 minute argument between classmates and a professor, because they didn't like taking tests that were essay questions. After months of this constant bickering, this particular professor decided to give said peers what they asked for, and started giving multiple choice tests. Guess who failed those tests? THE SAME PEOPLE. This is big kid school people, you actually have to read the text book, and pay attention during the lectures. I get so frustrated about it. Just this morning, I was supposed to have a test in a class of mine. The class started, and the teacher explained that we were going to do the lecture, take a break, then take the test. After saying this, one student got upset, wanting to take the test at the beginning of class. When the professor asked why, she said, I kid you not, "Because if we don't take it now, I won't have the information fresh in my mind." Uuuuuuggggghhhhhhh. Seriously people. Either you know the material or not. The whole point of school is that you learn the information, and then remember it so that you can use it later in life. If you can only remember this stuff for ten minutes, you aren't learning shit.

Did I mention that people I go to school with annoy me? Maybe I'll tell you about it sometime. Ugh.

Until tomorrow, Allons-y!

No comments:

Post a Comment