Thursday, April 7, 2011

BEDA 7 - I Should Cook More

Growing up, cooking was just a part of living in my house hold. Every night, we all sat down and had dinner as a family. Ever since I was little, I would cook with my mom. Baking is my particular passion, and when I was living with my mom, I would be baking something just about every week. Food is, in a very large way, how I connect to my mother. The way her kitchen is set up, there is an attached bar (a high counter top with three chairs) sharing a wall with the oven. So, when she was in the kitchen cooking, I would be able to sit at the bar, and see and talk to her as she cooked. That's how we spent time together: in the kitchen.

However, being my lazy self, I don't cook very much, despite the fact that I am actually pretty decent at it. For the past few weeks, I have been craving to cook. The problem, however, is that its hard to cook just for one person. For example, last week I really wanted to make a pie. I ended up planning that pie around my plans to hang out with friends, just so I would have people to enjoy my baking. But, as much as they may enjoy it, I probably should stop trying to shove sweets down my friends' throats.

So, as much as possible, I'm going to try to find ways to not only cook more, but cook for myself. Today I started this trend by making some angel hair pasta, tossed with a basil almond sauce (similar to a chunky pesto) and cherry tomatoes. I would give you all the recipe, but I made it up as I went along (and I didn't measure anything)



If anyone has a burning desire to make this, I can try to tell you how I did, but most of it is eyeballing it.

Until tomorrow, Allons-y!

1 comment:

  1. I love you my princess! You are a great cook and this looks wonderful :)

    Ok, I'm having trouble posting this with my Google ID so I'll just post as anonymous. You know I'm your mum....

    ReplyDelete